Back pain is the number one cause of disability worldwide and is the third most common reason for a visit to the doctor’s office. Despite an overall lack of evidence to support its efficacy, opioids continue to be prescribed for low back pain. The medical community continues to emphasize quality care, clinical outcomes, and effectiveness, however, and chiropractic has received increased attention as a successful, non-drug approach to treating this condition. Only in rare cases is surgery required for the treatment of back pain. Our Meier Family Chiropractic chiropractors have created this article to help you find a solution to your back pain just like many others in Urbandale have.
BACK PAIN CAUSES IN URBANDALE
The back is a complicated structure of bones, joints, ligaments, and muscles. Issues can arise impacting several structures at once.
- Ligament sprains and muscle strains
- Ruptured/swollen intervertebral discs
- Sports injuries
- Car accidents
- Overuse/repetitive motions
- Sedentary lifestyle/office jobs
- Poor posture
- Arthritis/congenital malformations
- Disease of the internal organs – kidney stones/infections, blood clots, bone loss
BACK PAIN SYMPTOMS
Some descriptors of low back pain can include tight, dull, achy, burning, throbbing, constant, cramping, and sore. Occasionally pain might radiate or travel down the thigh/leg. Less frequently someone might experience muscle weakness in a lower extremity. Some activities that might worsen the pain are walking, standing, lifting, twisting, or bending.
WHEN TO SEE A DOCTOR OF CHIROPRACTIC
Pain is common but certainly not normal. It is a good idea to seek treatment right away to prevent the condition from worsening or causing degeneration. In most cases, the condition is related to the musculoskeletal system. However, if more invasive medical attention is needed, your doctor will advise you of your next steps.
TIPS TO PREVENT LOW BACK PAIN
- Maintain a proper diet/weight.
- Remain physically active as movement helps to keep the musculoskeletal system working.
- Avoid prolonged inactivity.
- Stretch before exercising or doing physical activities (house chores, etc.)
- Be cognizant of your posture.
- Wear comfortable shoes – no heels.
- Sleep on a medium to firm mattress with one good pillow.
- Be aware of how you lift heavy objects – lift with your knees, keep the object close to your body, do not twist.
- Ensure you have an ergonomic workstation.
- Seek out regular chiropractic care!
When a chiropractor creates a treatment plan for an issue they make sure to treat the source of the problem and do not solely treat the symptoms. Our team in Urbandale can help you with your back pain using our proven methods! Please don’t hesitate to contact us, our staff at Meier Family Chiropractic is happy to help!